Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Daring to Fail.

I was reading Yana's blog and she was talking about how everyone's obsessed with getting on the dean's list and scoring straight A's. I guess that's just how everything is now. People talk a lot about how we're moving away from just looking at achievements from the academic point of view but if you look at the reality it's not really happening is it. Students (and parents too) are still clamoring for good grades.

I can't honestly say that i'm not part of this paper chase. I've grown up on good grades and doing well. In fact, i've never failed at anything before and that really freaks me out. Especially cause i'm worried if i fail in something later on in something much harder i wouldn't be able to cope with it. I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant brat or something but sometimes doing well most of the time stresses you out. People have such high expectations on you and sometimes they react to your downfalls more dramatically then you do. In my whole life, i've only not scored an A for English once, during Std 5, in a test where i used past tense instead of present tense in an essay. Well, obviously i was upset at that time but i got over it. What made that moment worst were the fact that some of my friends were making it out to be like some huge news.As if it could never happen.

Even now sometimes i dread getting my results back. I usually am the last one to go to the board to check my results even if i know i did well on it. I hate that feeling of insecurity. Really irritates me. haix. That's definitely one thing i want to get rid of.

3 comments:

Yana Azhar said...

that's how u've been feeling all these while ke?
siann jugak. and yeahh.. people are just saying that scoring As for exams is not really important in life. ya rite. they're just saying..

NAB said...

. not so kesianlah..i have loads to be thankful for. but sometimes lah

Anonymous said...

i gave you extra publicity.
i linked you.