Saturday, July 26, 2008

Nikolai Gogol and IWGP

I've decided to bring back Middlesex and Sophie's World when i start uni. I'm probably going to be real busy so i don't think theres are point in bringing too many. Chose Middlesex cause so many people have recommended in to me and i've read a few pages to know that it's definitely a good read and i'm taking Sophie's World cause i've read it a few times and it's something i can read when i'm too busy too start on a new book but still need some reading material.

I read a collection of short stories by Nikolai Gogol recently. I heard about it when i watched this movie 'The Namesake' where the main character was named Gogol. His two most popular short stories i think were ' The Overcoat' and ' The Nose'. Both are extremely good. I like how his subject matters are simple yet what he is trying to portray in his work usually covers extensive ground. The Nose is really comical i must say even if the story itself is like crazy.

Also finished the Ikebukuro West Gate Park(IWGP) series. It was really good. Much more edgier, seedier type of Japanese Drama. Acting was top-notch, the plot moved along quite fast, and the ending while it was a bit sentimental for me, it still seemed believable. Towards the end they even killed off one of the main characters and that's not something you usually do in dramas( except for those dramas where the main characters have some illness and find love before they die). I'd give it 8/10.

Watched Made Of Honour that day. It was ok. Nothing great but it wasn't terrible either. But it's no My Best Friend's Wedding for sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should watch this korean series called the devil.
it's actually the only korean series i know that does not revolve around love and BOTH the leads die. haha,

aliar0ney said...

nab,thnx sbb singgah kat my blog!!

yup2,seronok sgt kan buku the phantom tollbooth tu,i bace senyum2 je imagine all the characters,dgn colourful2 nye...haha...

nab,boleh bwkkan bku doctors by erich segal for me tak nanti? i de dgr psl tat book,p tak pnh jumpe2 lagi...huhu

NAB said...

both leads die?? and it's NOT about love...thats a rarity