Saturday, July 26, 2008

Gateway to Another World

When i was about 13/14, all the shelves in my room were filled with books and i was running out of space. So it was at that time that i decided to pack up all my books into boxes to make way for new books. Also at that time i was kind of moving on to different kind of reading material and books by Roald Dahl, Caroline B. Cooney, Judy Blume and my whole Sweet Valley series made way for the likes of Kazuo Ishiguro, Jeffrey Archer, Sidney Sheldon and Jostein Gardner.

Anyway, a few days ago i was in my sister's room and i saw that my mum had arranged all those books i had boxed up on some shelves she had had built. I think they had been there for a while but i never noticed. I got so excited seeing all those books, i spent a good part of the evening going through all of them. It was like going through some memory vault. Each book reminded me of a different time of my childhood. Going through our Enid Blyton collection reminded me of all the crazy characters like Mr.Pink Whistle and the magical worlds that she created.

Seeing all the Sweet Valley books arranged in one big pile made me realise we probably bought the whole collection especially the Twins,Junior yr,Senior yr and High School series. I went through reading bits and pieces of some of them and i think they're still some of the best teenage series books i've read. They discussed loads of issues - racism, death, drug, cliques and all that. I think a lot of the books we have nowadays are not as good as they were.

I also loved how the book covers for books meant for children are so coulourful and so yummy if you get what i mean. Even now, when i see the young adults section i always have the urge to get some of them but have to restrain myself.haha.

No comments: