Saturday, July 19, 2008

Musashi

Musashi is a great read and is often referred to as the 'Gone With The Wind' of Japan. For me, i preferred it much more if compared to the latter. It's a historical epic novel and while is a work of fiction, the main character Musashi Miyamoto himself did exist and most of the characters and events depicted in the book happened. The book is about his life as he goes about his ways learning to live the true way of the samurai. A few years ago my brother recommended this book to me. My bro doesn't read as much as my sisters and I do but when he does he really chooses his books wisely so it was only natural that i would pay heed to what he said and get the book. The book is 970 pages long and is written in small print so most people may be turned of from the start, but after the first few pages you'll just get sucked in the flow of the words. When it was first published they would publish it through a syndication with a magazine i think so there would be 1/2 chapters a week so each chapter has like a cliffhanger/coincidental happenings thing going on.

Still, what drew me to read it was the book's subject matter, it's depiction of Japanese History and culture and the samurai's way of life. Watching so many samurai related movies and anime has of course made me a fan of this genre. Reading or watching something related to them, you kind of always get this sense of loyalty, dignity and honour. The book does it wonderfully even adding a subdued but still captivating (for me, at least) story of love. And it even has some bouts of humour.

I read it a 2nd time this holidays because the first time i read it was during a busy period so i tried to finish it as fast as i can. This time around i took my own sweet time. I definitely rate it as one of my favourite books. It's different from the books written by modern Japanese authors like Kazuo Ishiguro or Haruki Murakami. Theirs have a more psychological literature thing going on but this one is written in the way most Japanese stories were written at that time.


No comments: